Work on the largest planned offshore windfarm in Germany will kick off in June following a final investment decision by owner EnBW and its new investment partner, Canada’s Enbridge Incorporated.

The 497-megawatt (MW) Hohe See offshore wind project is located in the so-called ”exclusive economic zone” of the North Sea around 90 kilometres north of Borkum and 100 km northwest of Helgoland, covering an area of 42 square kilometres. Work will start this summer, and the windfarm will be fully commissioned in 2019, when it will supply enough power for roughly 560,000 household and offset 1.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide per year. Enbridge has acquired a 49.9% stake in Hohe See, while EnBW will retain the remaining 50.1%. Siemens Wind Power, part of Siemens, has been appointed as the main contractor, and for the first time it will supply the full project, from foundations to the turbines. The project will cost around €1.8 billion.

”With Enbridge at our side, we can realise our largest offshore windfarm to date and at the same time generate financial scope through this participation for the development of new projects,” explained EnBW Chief Executive Officer Frank Mastiaux. ”This is now the third successful participation model with which we are sharing the risk and represents another major step in the implementation of our EnBW 2020 strategy. With an investment volume of around €1.8 billion, we have not only taken one of the largest investment decisions in the history of our company, but despite the currently difficult economic conditions, we are continuing to rigorously invest in the implementation of our strategy, and through EnBW Hohe See we are developing another cornerstone for safeguarding the future of EnBW.”

Enbridge President and Chief Executive Officer Al Monaco added: ”The Hohe See project is consistent with Enbridge’s strategy to increase our presence in the renewable power business, and it comes with an additional organic growth opportunity within the European offshore wind market. We like this business, and this project in particular, as it is supported by strong commercial underpinnings and provides attractive returns that are consistent with our investor value proposition.” The company also retains the option to participate in EnBW’s Albatros offshore project in the North Sea, a 400-MW windfarm that is in currently under development.

Siemens will supply 71 turbines rated at 7 MW each. They will be made at the company’s new nacelle plant in Cuxhaven and be shipped to the project at the beginning of 2019 for installation. The company has also been involved in the development of a project-specific monopile foundation design, measuring up to 80 metres and weighing 1,500 tonnes each, to anchor the wind turbines to the sea bed.

Source: Industrial Info Resources – 24 February 2017